.

.

Jessica's Creamed Corn

8/19/14

The following guest post does NOT mean I've had my baby yet (grrrrr).  But I did ask some friends and family if they wanted to contribute guest posts as I wind down over here, and the following is from my sister-in-law, Jessica.  She writes a fabulous blog called One Hungry Yogi with the most entertaining posts about life, health and food.  AND... she's pregnant!  This will be the first niece or nephew for me from my side of the family, and there's just something so exciting about that :)

Her guest post is below, and I hope you enjoy...  


I was lucky enough to ring in the completion of my first trimester at the beach with my family.  One of my sisters came for a couple of days and so did my dad, but the majority of my vacation was spent in an old beach house with the two women who raised me: Mom and Ruby.


Ruby took care of me and my sisters from birth to the day we left home, and she is family.  There was something about spending peaceful, quiet, quality time with these two women while pregnant with my first child that felt so perfect, so balanced, and so special.

My mom taught me to love the ocean; Ruby taught me to roller skate.  My mom and I crooned to Van Morrison; Ruby and I grooved to Luther Vandros.  My mom taught me the importance of healthy eating; Ruby taught me the secrets of her famous fried chicken and delicious creamed corn.

Ruby spent decades taking care of my family, and as she grows older, it's now our turn to take care of her.  I wouldn't dare fry chicken for her at the beach... too much pressure, but I did make her my version of creamed corn, and she had two servings... I'm just saying.  As Ruby would say, this creamed corn is so good "it'll make you slap ya' grandma."


Jessica's Super Easy (and a little lighter) Version of Ruby's Creamed Corn 

3 large ears of fresh corn, cut off the cob
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp. corn starch
Salt and pepper

Whisk the corn starch into milk until fully dissolved and smooth.  Melt butter in a large saucepan, add corn and sauté on medium-high heat for about five minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Put the heat on low and stir in the corn starch/milk slurry.  Keep stirring the corn on low until it becomes thick and creamy.  The finished product should be creamy and the corn still a little crunchy.

*Thank you Jess!  I hope I get the chance to meet Ruby someday (because I really want to hear that "slap ya grandma" phrase in person).  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this Jessica....reminds me of my years in the south. Miss the slow southern style.

tara said...

Seriously, I want to hear Ruby say "slap ya grandma" in person. That's the best line ever!

This creamed corn looks delicious!

Congratulations to Jessica and her new baby. How sweet she got to sit with her mom and Ruby as a new mom to be. Love it!

Ann said...

What a lovely recipe! Would you consider sharing Ruby's recipe, too? Pretty please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

siriously delicious All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger